Sunday, January 6, 2008

I just had to do it!

I had to create a blog. The timing is just to great not to.

This is gonna be good. Trust me!

So tomorrow, Jan. 7th, will be the 5th year anniversary of one of the biggest "life changing" moments I've had. It was the day I decided to finally stop DYING and start Living! by doing something about my excessive weight.

I was 21 years old and I had topped 300 lbs. I estimate that I was about 315, but I was never sure since my bathroom scale only went up to 270lbs. The scale would roll over and I'd have to think about it for a minute or two. I then had to do some "math in my head" to figure out how much I actually weighed. haha...crazy I know!

I was in a major state of feeling like garbage.

I had just recently had a new photo taken for my driver's license since I was no longer a minor, and I quickly shoved it into my wallet, trying not to look. The license office had just got those new "instant digital license photo" cameras and I was curious to see how bad this photo was. I had been extremely overweight my whole life, I despised photos....and everyone know that these license photos are the worst.

I just had to look.

The only thing that ran through my mind was: "I'm killing myself! I can keep doing this. I gotta change. This is killing me!".

You could see it in my eyes. I was already "dead" inside. I had no "life" in me. I was a walking fat "non-person" blob. I had made up my mind that people thought I was disgusting, so I thought along those same lines as well. <----Mistake!

Let me tell you. Don't do that! You won't get anywhere in your life thinking like that. You can't defeat yourself before you even star to play! You know what I mean?!?!? haha

Anyway, right there, right on my bed, I broke down and vowed to change.

I HAD TO!

I was in college and I was a fat, sweaty, nervous, self conscious mess. I couldn't life that way anymore...and now that I could the "death" in my eyes...I caught a new glimmer of hope.

I should change.......I could change........I WOULD change!

That's all it took. That's how it started. It was the "lightbulb" moment when I finally saw things as they were...not how I had made it up in my mind. I was a person just like anyone else and I could change myself, loose the weight, and become "normal".

I'll have to add some of the simple details later when I have more time but let me put the "end of the book" here in the preface:

In one year, I lost over 100 lbs.

I like to think of it this way: I accidentally lost 100 lbs!

Probably think I'm crazy huh? How's this guy "accidentally" lose 100 lbs when I can't even shed these holiday 15.

Well.....

The best way I can put it is that I had more determination than I had smarts. I honestly didn't know how to go about losing weight, but there was almost a primal "intuition" that kicked in...maybe it was just plain common sense...I don't know...but it was powerful. I just started doing a lot of little simple things and they added up. I had nickeled and dimed myself into a "wealthier" health life.

Knocking off drinking soda....

going for nightly walks....

doing a simple full body workout.....

getting over the fear of what other people thought of this big fat guy working out...

eating "better" food...

All these small things.....you name it, I did it and IT WORKED!

I gotta quit writing before I end up using all my "brain juice" and spill my guts all in this first blog post.

haha

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Following your blog. Love it so far. Keep me updated! Love to hear more.

Unknown said...

Following your blog. Love it so far. Keep me updated! Love to hear more.